Translate

Friday, October 12, 2012

Election 2012: Who Will You Be?

At the end of the day you have to ask yourself who do you want dictating what value you, your identity, and the identity of the ones you love has in our government's eyes. When women experience perpetuated sexism that is reminiscent of the mid-twentieth century, or are likened to livestock in Georgia (it happened yesterday), it will impact their entitlement to an equal economics as well. Sexism, homophobia, racism, and classism all depend on capitalist institutions to survive. Taking a chance on a better economy is not beneficial if the social policy of that candidate prevents equal access to the opportunities it provides. I agree that we need a change, but I think that there is a nationwide understanding that Obama's economic policies didn't get the job done the first time around and he won't ignore it. Needing a change doesn't necessarily mean opt for the other guy IF the alternative's other, non-economic policies pose such threatening consequences as they do now. There's an assumption being made by a large portion of America that an improved economy under Romney's policy means we all have access to it in the same ways but we don't and would not. I want a better economy too, but I will not jeopardize my rights and happiness for it. Furthermore, this isn't just about what is right for me and my identity, but also the identity of others. The racism and classism in Romney's campaign is sickening, and it's simply not in my values to focus solely on what I can gain from the government if that same government can't offer those closest to me the same opportunities.

1 comments:

web lol said...

Kul!!!

Post a Comment